Monday, September 1, 2008

Show and Tell Monday at MMP

It's another Show and Tell Monday at Make Mine Pink! Some of our pinkadees have been doing a bit of "Curbside Chic" shopping.....and I have to say, I'm one of them! lol

I found an old ratty (DEFINITELY needed to be by the dumpster!) artificial Christmas tree with the prettiest pink Christmas decorations you ever did see---out in the rain! There were three of these divine little pink glittered glass birds. Their poor feather tails were soooo scraggly, but I knew I could replace them if need be. They clip right onto the tree branch, but I don't think they're vintage. Oh, and I didn't replace the feathers after all. They remain a bit ruffled, but I think that makes them even more charming!

There were also four of these paper roses hot glued RIGHT to the branches of that ugly little tree! Ever so carefully I removed these and was able to save all four in perfect shabby condition(yep I carried the entire tree up my stairs just to get these!).

Here's a small vignette I've created which includes a few of the remaining Christmas ornaments...light pink glittery, light pink opalescent, and a beautiful rose. The fabrics came from my stash and are intended for aprons. The wooden letter "A" is a little project I started, but now I think I want it to "bee" pink. ;0] I'll stamp on my signature bee in brown and bling it ip too! The teacups will be made into pincushions, with all the requisite embellishments. And speaking of pincushions, I want to tell you about the one you see in the pic.
That's my pincushion I use daily, and it's dear to my heart. You see, the cushion part is a snippet of an old tattered quilt made by my Great Grandmother Helen Brown.
A few years ago, I made my brother's girls Christmas stockings from the salvagable areas of that well loved by several generations cover. (We used to squabble over who'd get to snuggle down under that softest of comforts when we spent the night with our Memaw--she was Gramma Helen's daughter and my Daddy's Mom.) But I digress! lol
I blinged and foofed those stockings up in true Princess style! My sister in law says the girls eschewed their Disney Princess stocking for their "Andie Made" ones, so I think I did okay with them. lol But I just could not bear to throw away all the little scrappy parts of that quilt! It was like throwing away snippets of my family. So I picked through them and found just the right bit with lovely faded pink flowers on a white background. I filled the bottom of an old votive holder with white and pink faux pearls, stuffed my quilt snip nice and firm, and VOILA! A little piece of my Gramma Helen that makes me smile every day. =0] Luvins to ya'll! xoxo

20 comments:

gail said...

Good morning Andie,,,it sure is nice to have a monday off huh? I know you understand my fellow have to have the stupid day job friend. lol I love the pink ornaments you found. The roses are so pretty. I love your pin cushion story... I have some to work on too. Have a great day. luv, gail

Susan said...

What great treasures! Love the bird! Wonderful story also!
Susan *dutchrose*

cathy said...

I love the little bird. It's feathers look fine. The roses are lovely too. Great find Andie!

Patricia said...

The treasures are great but now I would really like to see a close up of your family treasure! Nice work, sweetie,

Pat

Dawn-Hydrangea Home said...

Great finds Andie! It's amazing what people throw away!

Inka Thomas said...

I'd stop in the rain for that!!! Great goodies you have there girlie. Love the Memaw story too. I sure miss my Memaw!
Inka

Cottage Flair said...

Andie,
What fabulous finds. Isn;t it amazing what people throw away?! I think it's great what you did with your Gramma's quilt.
Jennifer

lisa said...

Andie ~

I would have drug that tree up there too to get those treasures. There is nothing wrong with a litte roadside shopping! I love the story about the stocking and your grandmothers quilt. Thanks for sharing that with us.

Lisa
www.palepinkandroses.com

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

all so lovely. I just adore pin cushions.

Craft Diva said...

looks like you hit the roadside jackpot, my friend! love the pincushion story too.

Francie of The Scented Cottage said...

Isn't it amazing what people throw away...my MIL threw away her silver ware...and entire 12 piece place setting !!!
I am holding on to one of my Big Mama's quilts too, someday I will make something out of it.

BTW those cookies are faux...if you look on my webshop under "Just faux fun" you will see all of them.

(())

Silena said...

Hey Andie, Now I know that you know a good thing when you see it. You have a creative eye that can see how things can be, instead of how you find them. The glittered pink bird is wonderful and your vignettes are quite romantic. I especially love your pincushion and its story...very nostalgic and meaningful. Hope Chris made it home okay!!

Miniature Patisserie Chef said...

Hi Andie,

Hope you had a good holiday weekend! Those were some great items you've put together. Love the bird and the pink rose! So cute!

Pei Li

Carrie Gonzalez said...

Hi Andie,
What a lovely story, and great ideas for vintage quilts. I have few from my grandmother that could use some revamping. Hmmm. . pincushions and stockings would be great holiday gifts! Thanks for sharing, have a lovely week!
Carrie

Susan - My Vintage Charm said...

Hi Andie, Just a little tender loving care and look at these little beautiful gems! Amazing finds and perfect colors! Thanks for sharing!

Boggy Creek Primitives said...

Oh what a wonderful find Andie! I love the clip on bird ~ my grandmother gave me a clip on cardinal years ago. I display it on my tree every year.

SoCal Helene said...

Hi Andie, I really enjoyed your story about the pincushion, so sweet!!
;o) Helene

Flowerchild Clay Queen Angel Heart Designs said...

Ooh! La la..love everything Andie..what a great story! have a super week! Cindy:)

Shell said...

Hey Andie,
Love the bird and the roses. What a great find. However, being a quilter, the story about the quilt was my favorite part. Quilts really do wrap you in love. Thanks for sharing!
Hugs,
Michelle

Cathy said...

Francie,

Thank you so much for your kind words and support on my "Home Feature". I appreciate it so much.

xo Cathy